Tuesday, August 12, 2014

My baby shower - DIY decoration and game ideas

I had my baby shower at 32 weeks. It was about time I had my shower because I gave birth to my little Anthony 3 weeks later! So a little piece of advice, don't wait until the last minute to plan your friend's shower!

It was a great shower! It is a very special time where you can share your experience and wisdom with the new mom to be! Because my nursery theme was the jungle, my shower's theme was "Air baby shower in the jungle!" Here is the invitation my friend designed. The little details are very well thought!



They decorated the entire house with jungle themed items such as the lion's face and the monkeys in the trees! These are pretty simple to make. They were just made with cardboard and the leafs were cut using scrapbook punches. I kept the monkeys to decorate my nursery. My boy loves staring at it while drinking.

They also used balloons to make bananas and pacifiers. Again, you just need long and round balloons and a good pair of lungs. 

Two posters were used to create the air baby shower ambiance. If you read French, the poster showing the emergency airplane procedure is actually quite funny. 


They also made this really cute banner using scrap booking paper and cardboard. Again super easy to make! The used a baby blue ribbon and clothe pins to hold everything together.  

We also had llittle name tags shaped like diapers. These were great because not every one knew each other. 

Baby shower games we played

- what do you have in your purse?
This game is simple. You have a list of things to find in your purse and each item has a certain number of points. The girl with the highest number of points win. Here is an example of the list. 

- baby pool
The baby pool is quite fun. Each invitee must fill in a piece of paper and guess the following:
- date of birth
- time of birth
- weight at birth
- length at birth
- colour of hair
- colour of eyes
- advice for the parents
This is a lot of fun for the mom to be. One of the first things I did when I came back from the hospital was to check what my friends had written. 


- don't say the word....
We all had 5 safety pins to start with. All through the baby shower we were not allowed to say the word "baby". Whoever said the word "baby" had to give her safety pin to the person who caught her say "baby". Whoever ends up with the most safety pins wins. 

- open gifts
We have to face it. Half of the time or even more is spent opening gifts. I was very lucky to have so many gifts from my family and friends. I felt very blessed. People often ask you what you want. I used the website http://www.myregistry.com/. This website is great because you put all your items there and it's not in only one store. So all your desired gifts are on one site and your friends are free to buy them wherever they want but still be able to see if the item was bought by someone else. 

-the diaper cake 
Another must have during a baby shower is diaper cake. To go with my Air Baby Shower theme, I got an airplane diaper cake. My friend made it from scratch! Here is the YouTube video for the instructions. 

-the price is right
This game is based on the popular tv show, but we only showcase baby items. You'll best surprised to see he much some items cost!

- decorate a onesie
This is another fun activity. My friend bought some onesies and everybody signed one and decorated another one. This is a great souvenir the mother can keep for many years. 

- pin the sperm on the egg
This game is a fun twist to the donkey's tail. Basically instead of the donkey you have an uterus with an egg and instead of tails you have spermatozas. You can buy a kit on the web.
You can draw the uterus on a big piece of white cardboard and draw little spermatozas. 

- guess the waist size of the mom to be
Again this is a classic game where each person is given a piece of string and has to guess the mom to be's waist circumference 

We ended the day with a beautiful cake my friend baked.

No comments:

Post a Comment