Monday, August 25, 2014

Mobile you are so beautiful!

My son loves his mobile my friend Gaby made. You can see it on this previous post.

To add diversity in our life, I decided to make other mobiles which I will be able to hang from the pole. 


To make a mobile you first need find an object shaped in a circle. For my first project I used a thin flexible cutting mat I bought at the dollar store. I cut 1/4 of the mat along the long edge twice. Then I punched one hole at each corner of the 2 pieces. I  punched  six holes along the upper and lower part of the long edge.to have a well balanced mobile, I tried to to space them equally. 
 Using a tie wrap I attached the corners in order to make a circle with the cutting mat. Then I used the foam mats you can also buy at the dollar store and cut some shapes. I also punched a hole on the top part of these shapes. 

I used different coloured tie wraps to attach the shapes on the cutting mat. I could have used ribbons, but I thought tie wraps were sturdier. I passed 6 string of different coloured ribbons through the remanding holes and tided them all together at the top. I used a tie wrap to make the loop the hold the mobile on the pole. Finally I used patterned duck tape and taped it on the cutting mat to add more fun!


For the second mobile I made I used pretty origami paper from japan. You could just used normal coloured paper or wrapping paper. Just make sure you have perfectly square pieces of paper. Here are the steps to make the origami cranes. For more info go to here.
My mom actually made my cranes because she said mine were crooked :s
For the circle, this time around I used the inner ring of an embroidery ring, which is much easier to use.
Then I took some ribbon and passed it through a knitting needle. I passed the needle through the crane and tied a knot just under the crane making sure I had a nice loop over the crane. 

I tied all the cranes on the ring and I decided to wrap the red ribbon all around the ring. Finally just like the other mobile I tied ribbons at equally spaced distance around the ring and tied them up together on top. 



As you can see it's quite easy to make your own mobile. Go ahead and use your imagination to make your own!









No comments:

Post a Comment